Deadline to apply is Feb. 17th, 2023!
Pioneer Utility Resources believes that an inclusive workplace — one where every employee has a voice and brings their own unique perspective — enhances everything we do.
In that spirit, we offer a paid communications internship program to expand professional opportunities and champion diversity within the community-owned utility sector.Meet Our 2022 Interns Meet Our 2021 Interns
Pioneer Utility Resources is seeking applications to fill two 40-hour a week, 10-week remote internship positions at a competitive hourly rate. One intern will spend 10 weeks in social media marketing and the other will spend 10 weeks in magazine publishing. This is an attractive opportunity to understand and communicate with our clients’ audiences and accomplish their goals while infusing the messaging with your own unique personality and perspective.
Social Media: Through the course of your internship, you will learn to put together a seven-day cycle of content from start to finish, including writing the text, choosing stock photography, creating graphics and scheduling each piece across multiple social platforms.
Magazine: Through the course of your internship working with the magazine, you will gain experience copy editing, researching and independently writing stories on a variety of topics to be published in our various magazine publications.
- At least a junior in a four-year bachelor’s program.
- At least a 2.75 GPA for most recent semester.
- An interest in rural communications.
- Willingness to work together on a great team, sharing ideas
- and supporting your colleagues and the utilities we serve.
- Reliable, high-speed home internet and computer.
- Strong skills in journalistic writing, spelling and grammar and familiarity with AP Style.
- Willingness to learn new software as needed.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the most popular social media networks.
Through this internship, we will help you learn:
- Software proficiency with Google Docs, Dropbox, QuickBase, Facebook Business Suite, Canva and Sprout Social.
- Utility-related subject matter including but not limited to the cooperative business model, rural broadband, energy efficiency and electrical safety.
- To improve writing and editing skills.
- To receive feedback and improve quality of work based on that feedback.
- Social media analytics.
- Client management and account services skills.
To apply, please submit the form below by Feb. 17, 2023 with:
- Cover letter, including what you hope to gain from this internship and why we should choose you.
- Portfolio including:
- Two writing samples: Journalistic preferred, but self-published or blogs are also accepted.
- Social media examples: Have you helped develop content or campaigns in the past? Let us see them!