Do you love sales, building relationships, and the thrill of landing new business? Do you want to up your game and ours? We could be the place for you.
Pioneer Utility Resources, one of the nation’s premiere providers of specialized services to consumer-owned utilities, seeks an experienced, energetic team player to join our business development team as we rev things up.
Candidates from across the United States are encouraged to apply. Relocation to Oregon is optional.
Pioneer, with six decades under its belt, is a thriving Oregon-based communications cooperative experiencing dynamic growth with its two newest subsidiaries, ARC Media (Jefferson City, MO) and WordSouth (Rainsville, AL). We seek a hands-on director who can introduce our wide array of services to a growing customer base as we expand from our West Coast-centric roots. The successful candidate, a collaborator and go-getter, will be tasked with finding new and compelling ways to attract and retain additional utility industry customers/members. Travel, public speaking and direct customer contact is required (though in-person events are temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
As a nimble not-for-profit, Pioneer’s primary mission is to meet the needs of the cooperatives, public utility districts and other utilities utilizing our services while providing a vibrant, collaborative, energetic and satisfying place for our staff to work. In short, we are a not-for-profit that strives to be entrepreneurial but also provides reliable value to member/owners.
Salary for this exempt position is dependent on experience. Relevant college degree or significant related experience is required. Management experience is a significant plus, as is work experience within the cooperative or utility sectors. We offer a highly desirable benefits package including employee and family medical/dental, long-term disability, life insurance and competitive vacation, holiday, and sick leave. Retirement benefits currently include a 401(k) with outstanding matching.
Pioneer Utility Resources is a committed equal opportunity employer which values a diverse workforce and an open, collaborative, and entrepreneurial work environment.
A. To direct and carry out the sales efforts of Pioneer Utility Resources, Inc. (Pioneer) and its family of related companies, in collaboration with the VP of Marketing & Business Development and other team members.
B. To execute on product marketing plans that meet Pioneer’s strategic sales and marketing objectives.
C. To monitor and participate in the activities of Pioneer’s membership and related trade associations that can influence and affect Pioneer and its members.
E. To effectively close out contracting for new accounts, and successfully execute a hand-off to operations for implementation, billing and ongoing client service.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within the limits of board and operating policies, budgets and legal requirements, this position accepts the responsibility for oversight and implementation of the above objectives, including the following activities:
- Directs the implementation of the Pioneer marketing plan to increase awareness and utilization of products and services among member and non-member utilities.
- Directs the planning and promotion of the annual membership meeting.
- Keeps informed on local, state and national issues affecting Pioneer and its members.
- Directs strategies related to display advertising in Pioneer’s publications. This may include development of new markets and ad sales.
- Recommends to the CEO an annual budget for certain communication and marketing activities.
- Utilizes certain CRM and related systems to provide regular reporting and insight to sales and marketing efforts.
- Performs other assignments as directed.
- Reports to the VP of Marketing and Business Development.
- May be called upon to supervise or oversee the work of others.
- Exchanges information with other organizational leaders with respect to member relations, organizational matters, work plans and budgets.
- Works with editorial staff to keep the organization abreast of industry issues that could impact or influence editorial content. Follows up on staff reports on member activity as needed.
- ESG Staff: Works with ESG’s Chief Operating Officer to develop and implement marketing plans.
- ND Staff: Works with ND’s Publisher to develop and implement marketing plans.
- Member Utilities: Provides assistance and information on products and services.
- Non-member Utilities: Promotes Pioneer products and services.
- Trade Associations: Cooperates with and assist related organizations in ways that will be beneficial to the membership and consumer-owned utilities.
- General public: Provides information in support of Pioneer, its family of companies, its member utilities and the community-owned utility sector by public speaking, blog posts, preparation of press releases, etc.
- Education and training: Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Equivalent experience and/or completion of the Certified Cooperative Communicator program may be substituted for degree.
- Experience: Five years of experience in public relations, business development or communication fields. Industry experience in electric, telco or cooperative sectors will be a plus.
- Physical requirements:
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Position requires the following:
- Sitting: 80 percent (working at desk with computer)
- Standing/walking: 20 percent
- Lifting: 50 lbs (trade show display)
- Abilities and Skills:
- Must exhibit working knowledge of computers and related software, including Microsoft Office (including PowerPoint), CRMs, and email marketing platforms. Experience with Photoshop and InDesign or similar programs is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated ability in public speaking and presentations.
- Must have a proven ability to successfully offer products and solutions to current and prospective clients.
- Hours: This position is overtime exempt. Employee accepts additional working hours as required due to deadlines, travel or other unforeseen conditions.
COVID-19 Considerations: Most employees are temporarily working from home, with the option of working in the office as need requires (training, file transfer, etc.) We expect to repopulate the office when it is safe for employees to return. Candidates from across the United States are encouraged to apply. Relocation to Oregon is optional.
Ready to Apply?
Send your resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com and use Director of Member Solutions in the subject line. Deadline to apply is December 6, 2020.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Thank you for considering Pioneer Utility Resources in your job search. PUR is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, marital status, uniformed services status, sexual orientation, gender identity or genetic information. No application will be rejected as a result of a disability that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of the essential job duties. Any person requiring special accommodation should contact Matthew Pierce to assist in arrangements.