Facebook and Instagram Stories—collections of videos and images at the top of your news feed that disappear after 24 hours—are gaining popularity with public power communicators.
More than 500 million people use Stories every day. Are you ready to share your story?
Stories for Utilities
To encourage the use of this feature, Facebook launched a best practices website last year: StoriesCanDoIt.com. It’s a handy resource, but we prefer showcasing how utilities use social tactics to connect with consumers.
To inspire your 2020 social media strategy, our Social Stories video shows ways utilities can tap Stories to connect with consumers. From Touch-a-Truck Days and efficiency polls to scholarship alerts and blood drives, Stories offer a solid way to reflect your commitment to community. Use these four tips to get started:
1. Create simple graphics with seasonal reminders (change air filter, heat pump maintenance). During a storm, a story showing how to report an outage could help.
2. Share a series of photos or videos to show a day in the life of utility staff.
3. Spotlight events with a series of images and videos. Remember to include the location and tag key people and community groups involved with the event.
4. Use text overlays, frames, animated arrows and screen drawings to add emphasis to Stories. On Facebook, add call-to-action links or a phone number to drive easy engagement. (Links are only available on Instagram if you have 10,000+ fans.)
Watch our Social Stories video to see these best practices in action.
Add Instagram Story Highlights
Stories disappear after 24 hours, but sometimes it’s hard to let go. Thank goodness for Instagram Story Highlights. If you have Stories you want to share for more than a day, you can easily pin them to the top of your Instagram profile.
Use Instagram Story Highlights to:
- Explain how to report an outage.
- Showcase past Youth Tour experiences.
- Highlight seasonal efficiency tips.
- Share community meeting highlights.
- List electric vehicle tips.
Our Using Instagram Story Highlights video walks through several fun examples of this feature. Watch examples from your peers, then learn how to add your own highlights.
How are you using Stories?
Share your inspiration below. Need more support? Check out Pioneer Social. Our industry-fueled content libraries, drag-and-drop scheduling calendar and reporting features will energize your social media strategy in 2020!