By Pam Blair
Congratulations to Nikki Dunn Cullen, winner of Pioneer Utility Resources’ 2020 Dave D’Avanzo Award!
Nikki is the marketing and public relations consultant for Florida Keys Electric Cooperative (FKEC), based in Tavernier, Florida. One of her many responsibilities is providing and designing content for Florida Currents magazine, the cooperative’s monthly consumer publication.
As the person responsible for producing Florida Currents each month, I appreciate how Nikki works with the team at FKEC to provide members with useful information.
Nikki has a clear vision of the goals for each issue of the magazine, and that shows in the finished product.
She is a true advocate for the cooperative, and always keeps the best interests of the members in mind.
Nikki provides FKEC’s pages camera-ready. They have a distinctive and polished look that makes them stand out from the common pages, but in an attractive way. She quickly embraced and incorporated the new fonts and styles that resulted from Pioneer’s redesign of the magazine in 2020.
One of the things I most appreciate about Nikki is she never hesitates to ask for feedback. She is always looking to make her pages the best they can be. It also is nice that she always seems to be ahead of deadline.
Nikki has been the primary public relations person for Florida Keys Electric Cooperative since 2010. She assisted for many years before that. Nikki has worked with Pioneer Utility Resources on Florida Currents since the publication’s first edition in 2011.
Examples of Nikki’s Work
As a marketing consultant, Nikki’s portfolio is at Market Design Connect. Here are a few examples of her work for Florida Keys Electric Cooperative:
- Every month she conducts interviews, takes pictures, writes and designs her co-op’s local pages inside Florida Currents magazine.
- Her social media campaign, #PoweredbyPositivity, spotlights how co-op staff and members support each other during the pandemic.
- As a contributor to Pioneer’s eBook, Coping with a Crisis, Nikki shared the crisis communication plan she developed for the co-op.
- After Hurricane Irma hit Florida Keys Electric Co-op, Nikki produced a book documenting the experience, Hurricane Irma (PDF) (2018).
- She co-wrote a commemorative book, The History of Florida Keys Electric Cooperative (PDF) (2016).
The Dave D’Avanzo Award
Pioneer’s Communicator of the Year award was renamed this year in honor of longtime communicator Dave D’Avanzo, who was known for always giving, helping, and making other people better.
During a cooperative career spanning nearly four decades, Dave worked at 4 utilities: Umatilla Electric Cooperative in Hermiston, Oregon; Claverack Rural Electric in Wysox, Pennsylvania; Midstate Electric Cooperative in LaPine, Oregon; and most recently at Lane Electric Cooperative in Eugene, Oregon. He earned top communicator honors for his exceptional work and dedication serving his cooperative on Ruralite magazine—a sister publication to Florida Currents. Dave died in November after a long battle with cancer.