Each fall, Ruralite’s editors select an outstanding communicator. We are pleased to announce Sarah Johnson as our 2018 Communicator of the Year.
Sarah is the customer relations and services manager at Clatskanie PUD, based in Clatskanie, Oregon. She deftly switches gears between human resources, customer service, board member support, media relations, internal and external communications—including providing content for Ruralite magazine, Clatskanie PUD’s monthly consumer publication.
In selecting Johnson for the award, Ruralite editors cited her dedication and genuine interest in serving Clatskanie PUD consumers and keeping them informed, whether via the magazine, annual calendars or the utility’s social media channels.
“Sarah sees the excitement in the possibilities,” said Ruralite Assistant Editor Jennifer Brown, who coordinates production of the magazine for Clatskanie PUD. “Her enthusiasm for public power—as well as the people they serve—is unmatched.”
That dedication and excitement to inform Clatskanie PUD consumers about their utility and their communities earned Johnson the award.
Examples of Sarah’s Work
What made Sarah’s work stand out?
- Custom magazine covers highlight local faces and places.
- A redesigned, responsive and accessible website ensures all consumers hear the PUD’s message. www.clatskaniepud.com
- Custom More Powerful Together materials paired the powerful message with the PUD’s 75th anniversary celebration.
- Clatskanie PUD’s digital magazine edition gives consumers an easy way to find news online.
- Perpetual calendars offer consumers a handy resource.
- Calendars are transformed into an award-winning vehicle for Clatskanie PUD’s annual report (2015-Present).
A new addition to Ruralite’s Communications Committee, Sarah volunteers a lot of time to build a strong public power peer network. She’s chaired the Northwest Regional Group for several years, organizing spring and fall best practice roundtables for public power utilities in Oregon and Washington. She also chaired NWPPA’s 2018 Northwest Communications and Energy Efficiency Conference, and has been a member of the event’s planning committee for several years.
Sarah has been at Clatskanie PUD since 2014. She began her public power career in 2003 at West Oregon Electric Cooperative in Vernonia, Oregon.
Recent Communicator of the Year Winners:
More Peer Examples
Do you enjoy seeing what your peers are writing? We share the best Ruralite, Currents and Florida Currents stories on our blog every month. For past examples, browse our Inside the Magazine blog category. Have an example you’d like to share? Post a link in the blog comments below!